Quite a few weeks back Google released the latest version of Android Oreo 8.0. It is said to be the fastest and safest version of Android yet. Android Oreo brings in a lot of new features like the picture in picture mode, notification badges for app icons, lockscreen shortcuts, and several background optimizations.
Samsung Galaxy S6 and Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge are among devices that have already received some sort of an unofficial Android 8.0 Oreo port. The ROM comes with many Android Oreo features and almost everything working with very fewer bugs. Features like Calls, SMS, Mobile Data, WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, Fingerprint, Camera are working without issues. Keep in mind that the Android 8.0 Oreo for Samsung Galaxy S6 and Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge is currently in Beta status, so it has few bugs.
It is recommended to back up your important data as this procedure will wipe out all your data.
If you want to test the latest version of Android Oreo 8.0 on your Samsung Galaxy S6 or Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, then make sure to follow instructions below.
First let’s have a look at some of the pre-requisites before we take you to the step by step instruction.
- You need to be rooted, and have TWRP or CWM custom recovery installed on your device.
- Make sure that your phone has at least 50 or 60% battery.
- This tutorial will wipe out all your data. Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before going forward for the tutorial.
- Download Android 8.0 Oreo ROM form link below.
Warning: Rooting or flashing Custom ROMs will void your warranty and can brick your device if done wrong. We are not responsible for anything that may happen to your phone. Proceed at your own risk
How to Install Android 8.0 Oreo ROM on Galaxy S6 or Galaxy S6 Egde
- Install or update to latest TWRP or CWM custom recovery
- Download the Android 8.0 ROM form link below.
- Download Open GApps and/or Magisk (Optional)
- Move all downloaded files to your phone
- Turn off your phone by holding the power button down for a few seconds.
- Boot to custom recovery by holding the volume up, power and home buttons at the same time. When the phone turns on, it will boot into recovery mode.
- Backup any important data before going forward. (Recommended)
- If you are new to Android O, wipe Dalvik, Data, System and Cache
- Flash Android 8.0 ROM and GApps.
(For S6 Edge flash Kernel-*-zeroltexx-*.img)
- Now Flash the SuperSu/Magisk zip (or any other Root Method)
- Once the installation process is done reboot your phone.
- Your phone now runs on Android Oreo.
The first boot will take a while because it is booting for the first time on a fresh installation of a Custom ROM.
- Videos with high resolutions (1080p+) may start to lag.
- Some videos with specific codecs can’t be placed.
- Videos can be recorded with Stock Camera App, but not played with stock video players.
- GPS in Device only mode does not work properly on some apps.
- Random freezes