LineageOS 15 is one of the most popular Custom ROM based on the latest version of Android 8.0 Oreo. It brings in a lot of new features like the picture in picture mode, notification badges for app icons, lockscreen shortcuts, and several background optimizations.
Now you can enjoy the latest Android Oreo 8.0 on your Galaxy S5. An unofficial version of LineageOS 15 is now available for Galaxy S5 that brings Android 8.0 Oreo and its features to the device. This ROM is brought to you by afaneh92, XDA Senior Member. Keep in mind that the ROM is currently in Beta status, so it has some bugs.
LineageOS is the successor to the CyanogenMod which was one of the best custom ROM for most of the Android users. It was the biggest and most widely used custom ROM for Android devices and it has had a huge community of developers.
You will need a custom recovery like ClockworkMod or TWRP in order to flash the ROM on your phone. We will guide you through the entire process of how to install LineageOS 15 on Galaxy S5. Please make sure you backup all your data because this tutorial will wipe all your data.
This ROM is compatible with the following variants of the Galaxy S5
First let’s have a look at some of the pre-requisites before we take you to the step by step instruction.
- Your device need to be rooted, and have TWRP or CWM custom recovery installed.
- Backup any important data before going forward for the tutorial.
- Make sure that your phone has at least 50-60% battery.
- Download ROM and Gapps form links below.
Warning: Rooting or flashing Custom ROMs will void your warranty and can brick your device if done wrong. We are not responsible for anything that may happen to your phone. Proceed at your own risk.
How to Install LineageOS 15 ROM on your Galaxy S5
- Install or update to latest TWRP custom recovery.
- Download ROM and GApps.
- Move all downloaded files to your phone.
- Turn off your phone by holding the power button down for a few seconds.
- Boot to custom recovery by holding the volume up, power and home buttons at the same time. When the phone turns on, it will boot into recovery mode.
- Backup any important data before going forward.
- Wipe /data, /system and /cache.
- Flash ROM and GApps.
- Once the installation process is done reboot your phone.
The first boot will take a while because it is booting for the first time on a fresh installation of a Custom ROM.
Currently not working
- Camera and Flash
- Sound record
- Other stuff
Source: XDA, By afaneh92, Senior Member